Wednesday, May 2, 2007

blank src="" causes double request processing

Twice in the past month, I've been beplexed by http requests being processed twice or more, once with expected parameters, and then again with no parameters. This caused all sorts of unexpected behavior. Request processing even seemed to be triggered by trying to "view source" in Firefox.

I visited my doctor to see if I needed my medication adjusted again, but all other aspects of reality seemed to be reasonable, so I looked for a solution by lobotimizing my application and adding pieces back in again until I noticed the behavior. It came back after adding a chunk of code back into an ftl page. It turns out that this behavior was caused by some image tags with blank src attributes. If I have IMG SRC="" or even IMG SRC="#" the requests get called twice.